It’s amazing the things you learn each week. Everyone of us learns a ton of new things every week. No matter how old we are, we are always evolving. I see my girls learning, little, yet amazing to them, things every day. This week has been all about rhyming at our house. K is thrilled that she knows that CAT and HAT rhyme. N is slowly but surely learning how to blow her nose. It’s the little things when you’re 3 :) I don’t think I’ve ever really noticed all the new things I learn each day or week. I’ve never stopped to take the time to really marvel at that new piece of history I just learned in a book, a new recipe or food I’ve tried, or how to finally get a stain out of a favorite shirt.
Starting this week I decided to try to keep track of the new things. Even if they are super simple and may not mean anything to anyone else but me. Hopefully I can keep doing this every week so I can continue to realize how much I really don’t know or understand about this crazy world. It’s also a great feeling to know you’ve just don’t something you’ve never done before. So, here is the list of a few things I’ve learned this week.
1. You’re never too old to play Uno on the living room floor. My girls got a Cinderella Uno game for Christmas and it’s been a huge hit this week. They learned how to play and that’s all we’ve done. I’ve played more games of Uno this week then I think I played my entire childhood. It’s amazing to see N learning her colors and numbers from a game too. She has no idea she’s learning. Just having fun and that’s how it should be. I also love hearing them yell “UNO!”
2. Raspberry leaf tea will never be able to replace the love I have for chai tea lattes.
3. Apparently K “rocks out” with Daddy in the mornings on the way to school. Tony’s schedule has changed a little at work and he is now able to drop K off every morning and she is loving the Daddy time. Another thing I learned this week is that they apparently “rock out” to songs Mommy doesn’t let her listen to. Like this one:
Please excuse anything offensive in the song. Today was the first time I’ve ever heard it. I was actually changing the channel on the radio when it came on and K started singing it. Of course when I ask how in the world she knows this song, her response is “Daddy and I listen to it all the time on the way to school!” Now I have 2 kids running around the house yelling, “I got $20 in my pocket.”
4. Gentle yoga classes are amazing. It’s a great way to start the day.
5. Another great way to start the day is just by getting dressed as soon as you get out of bed. Crazy huh? I’ve always been one of those people who rolls downstairs every morning in my pajamas while I fumbled around the kitchen trying to get milk for kids and chai tea started for myself. This past week I’ve made myself get dressed before coming downstairs. It’s made my entire day flow better. I think I may actually be getting more accomplished in those first few hours of the morning then I used to.
6. Laundry is never ending with kids.
7. I could sweep my house 4 times a day and there would still be crumbs or dog hair somewhere.
8. Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood is the coolest new show on television. Yeah I said it. It’s like reliving my childhood. Every time we watch it I noticed something else that I used to love from Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood. If you haven’t seen it, please take a few minutes to watch it one day. My kids LOVE it.
9. I learned something else from Daniel Tiger this week. “When you get so mad that you wanna ROAR, take a deep breath and count to 4. 1…..2…..3…..4.” It works. Try it. And if it doesn’t calm you down at least a little, it makes you smile :)
10. For the past 2 weeks I’ve been ending my days by participating in a Bible study through Good Morning Girls. I’ve really enjoyed learning about Luke, but something I’ve gotten even more out of is reading through Proverbs. I read the chapter that corresponds to the day of the month. I’m learning tons of things this way. Reading God’s word right before bed really allows me to think about what he may be trying to say to me as I drift off to sleep and is there really any better way to fall asleep each night?
Well…there it is. The list of things I’ve learned this week. Have you learned anything new this week?